Union County Family Law Attorneys – NC Board Certified Specialist

Why should you hire us to help you with your divorce, child custody, or child support issues?  Our primary family law attorney, Ms. Rebecca L. Robison, is a North Carolina Board Certified Family Law Specialist.  She will stand up for you and protect your interests while going through a divorce.  All of our family law attorneys can assist you with a separation agreement or a lawsuit regarding Post-Separation Support, Alimony, Equitable Distribution, Child Custody, Child Support, Adoption, or Domestic Violence.  At Helms Robison & Lee, PA, our attorneys respect your need for confidentiality as you go through this difficult time in your life.

At Helms Robison & Lee, PA located in Union County, North Carolina, family law is a very large part of our practice.  One of our primary family law attorneys, Rebecca L. Robison, is a North Carolina Board Certified Specialist in the field of family law.  When you need an experienced and knowledgeable attorney for your family law matter, you can count on Helms Robison & Lee, PA to provide that for you.  We serve the greater Charlotte metropolitan area, including Monroe, Indian Trail, Matthews, Mint Hill, Stallings, Weddington, Waxhaw, Marvin, Marshville, Unionville, Wingate, and the surrounding areas.

Family is Important.  At Helms Robison & Lee, PA, Family Law is Important to Us.

Are you thinking about divorce, but are unsure of your options?  Are you a stay-at-home mom with limited financial resources?  Perhaps you are a loving father and want to see your child more.  We believe that our client-centered practice provides families with a practical and supportive environment in which to resolve their legal difficulties.  Contact us to arrange for a confidential consultation with one of our family law attorneys today.  We will help you understand your options, stand up for you in court, and ensure that you are treated fairly in the court system.

Lawyers for Your Child Adoptions And Prenuptial Agreements

Fortunately, not every visit to our family law practice is due to a crisis.  Some visits are preliminary to wonderful and exciting events such as weddings and child adoptions.  Before you begin the process involved in these life-changing events, you should contact Helms Robison & Lee, PA to ensure that your child adoption process meets all legal criteria for a North Carolina adoption, or for assistance in drafting your prenuptial agreement.  Contact us for further information and assistance.

Our Attorneys Will Handle Your Divorce Matters With Respect

If you are currently involved in the divorce process or are contemplating a divorce in the near future, you should contact the divorce attorneys at Helms Robison & Lee, PA.

With more than half of the marriages in the United States ending in divorce, you are not alone in your dilemma; however, it is very important that you obtain the services of a well-established law firm to look out for your best interests as soon as possible.  We can provide zealous legal representation with all divorce and family law issues, such as:

  • Child Custody
  • Visitation
  • Spousal Support (Alimony)
  • Child Support
  • Paternity
  • Separation Agreements
  • Property Division
  • Domestic Violence

Contact Helms Robison & Lee, PA today for immediate assistance with all your family law needs, and to schedule your one-hour initial consultation.  



Spousal Support (Alimony) Attorneys in Union County, North Carolina

If you are dependent on your spouse’s income to meet your needs and expenses, there is a good chance you are eligible for post-separation support and alimony.

Alimony is based on several factors: whether you were a dependent spouse, your needs and expenses, the other spouse’s ability to pay, and whether there was any marital misconduct.  Our lawyers can explain whether spousal support is likely in your divorce.

Post-separation support is a temporary form of alimony provided by the court.  This form of spousal support usually lasts for 12 to 18 months.

Alimony may be ordered for a limited time or indefinitely. In a long-term marriage when one spouse has a limited ability to earn an adequate living, spousal support may be indefinite. In most other cases, however, alimony may be awarded for a limited period.  Most alimony periods will last for about half the length of the marriage, whether you negotiate this in mediation or a judge orders it.

Child Custody & Support

Child Custody and Support Lawyers

Are you concerned about what will happen to your children in the event of a divorce?  Are you in the midst of a contentious custody battle?  Parents usually differ when it comes to determining what is best for their child in a divorce.  

In a divorce, a concerned parent’s initial questions will often be about the children.  Who will get custody?  Who will pay child support?  

Who will get custody? This is not about proving one parent unfit.  In most cases, both parents are fit to take care of the children.  In North Carolina, it is all about what is in the best interests of the children.

Emergency Custody, what is that?  When a parent asks for emergency custody of their child, it is a serious task.  In North Carolina, a parent must show that their child is at substantial risk of emotional or bodily injury at the hands of the other parent, or that the child is being removed from the state for purposes of evading the jurisdiction of North Carolina.  You need to contact Helms Robison & Lee, PA right away if you have an emergency custody issue.

What if there is a need to modify custody  later in the child’s life?  If there has been a substantial change of circumstances since the custody order was entered, the original custody order may be modified to better suit the current circumstances.

Child Support

How much child support will be ordered?  North Carolina has child support guidelines that consider a number of factors including the income of each parent and the standard of living the child has come to expect.  If the other parent is purposely working a low paying job to evade child support obligations, the court may impute a higher income to that parent.  Talk to one of our child support attorneys about how the guidelines will affect you and your family.

Divorce and Domestic Violence

Experienced Divorce Attorneys

Are you contemplating a divorce? Perhaps you have had discussions with friends or family members who have horror stories, but please remember that each case is different and that your divorce is unique.  

In North Carolina, you and your spouse must live separately and apart for one year before a final divorce will be granted.   You do not have to file paperwork with the court before you are legally separated.  As long as you live separate and apart, and one party intends to remain separate and apart, your separation period has begun.  Before your final divorce decree is entered, however, you need to speak with one of our attorneys at Helms Robison & Lee, PA to discuss your options for post-separation support, alimony, and equitable distribution; otherwise you may lose out on these claims forever.

Do not move out of the house without consulting a lawyer.  Moving out could jeopardize your future interests regarding child custody and alimony, especially if your spouse makes the allegation that you abandoned the marriage.  

Domestic Violence

Is domestic violence an issue in your household?  If so, you could be entitled to a 50-B restraining order to keep your spouse, partner, or other household member away from you.  Depending on your circumstances, you could also be granted temporary custody of your children and possession of your home and vehicle.  Speak with one of our attorneys for more details.  


Alternatively, if you have been served with a 50-B restraining order, you must not contact or go near the person who took out the restraining order against you.  You will have an opportunity to defend yourself in court, but you should have one of our attorneys assist you right away.  After you are served with a Complaint for a domestic violence order of protection, you only have 10 days to file an Answer and deny all of those allegations.  Contact Helms Robison & Lee, PA today.

Property Division

Equitable Distribution of Property

Any assets acquired during a marriage may be considered marital property, and thus subject to equitable distribution.  To understand what that means in your particular divorce, talk to a lawyer at Helms Robison & Lee, PA, in Union County, North Carolina today.

Property division can be the most complicated issue in a divorce.  In North Carolina courts, equitable distribution is presumed to be a 50/50 split of marital assets. But the court may determine that an unequal division is appropriate under certain circumstances.  What happens to pension benefits, 401(k) accounts, stock options, real estate holdings?   These assets may be split between the parties, real estate can be quitclaimed to the other party, or there may be another option that works best for your case.   Let the attorneys at our firm help you decide what the best economical decision is for your case before making decisions on your own.  

What if a business has to be divided? Your attorney can help you obtain a fair business evaluation and determine ways to divide the business value without destroying the business.

Separation Agreements

Our Union County Lawyers Can Help With Your Separation Agreements

In North Carolina, a married couple must live separate and apart for one year before a divorce can be granted.  A separation agreement can resolve issues such as child custody, child support, living arrangements, spousal support, property division and other issues. Your lawyer can help you negotiate a separation agreement that meets the unique needs of you and your family.

A separation agreement can resolve all issues outside of court.  By negotiating, drafting and signing a separation agreement, you and your spouse can avoid having a judge make all of your decisions for you.

The more you and your spouse can agree to through negotiation and agreement, the less you will pay in terms of stress and financial expense.

Dates are important in a separation agreement.  When did the separation begin?  The court will want to be sure that you and your spouse were living apart for a full year before a divorce can be granted.


Contact Us